Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A Great Vacation's End

We had such a great time in D.C. We spent a whole day walking around all the monuments and memorials in the National Mall. It was a ton of walking (especially with a sprained ankle!!! I am such a clutz!). I really enjoyed the Washington Monument with the WWII memorial, reflecting poot, and Lincoln memorial. It was such a beautiful day (72 degree weather) and a gorgeous walk. The Vietnam Memorial wall was amazing. It just left me in awe of all those who sacrificed their lives for the country, despite all the political disagreements. Anyway, it was beautiful. The next day, Guy and I rented a tandem bike and rode down to the Tidal Basin to look at the spectacular cherry blossoms. We were lucky and hit it just at the peak of the blossoming. Remember, all this was done with a sprained ankle! I am definitely paying for it now, but I wasn't about to let that ruin my vacation!

On Friday, we decided to take a little trip up to New York. We went to the Statue of Liberty, which was fascinating. We took the ferry out to it and had a great time. We then drove to Ground Zero. I can't believe how big of an area and that it held two such huge buildings. Right across from Ground Zero was the Fire Engine 10. They lost 6 firefighters on 9/11. They had a fire truck painted patrioctically for the public to view and a firefighter answering questions. It was interesting.
Anyway, that was our trip. We were gone 8 days. It was a long time to be away from the kids. I missed them so much!!! It was great to get back to them and give them hugs and kisses.

1 comment:

WarriorWife said...

See DC on a Tandem Bike?? What a great idea! :)