Tuesday, July 11, 2006

TMJ...That Miserable Jaw

I have TMJ and have been going to the orthodontist for four months now to try and get it corrected. For the past4 months I have had to wear what they call a splint. It is a hard plastic mouthpiece that I wear on my upper teeth. This allows for my lower jaw to move to its more natural position. I don't quite understand how it works, but it does! My teeth no longer meet, except for in one spot. I went in to my orthodontic appointment today and was told that I would only have to wear it for two more weeks. Yippee!!! The splint is terrible. It's hard to talk with and even harder to eat with! The next step..... braces. That part I'm not to excited about. But, boy, will it be nice when we are all finished. No more jaw pain, and much better looking teeth!!! I must thank my husband for this. He talked me into going in for a consultation. I was so against getting braces. I didn't see the point now that I'm older and have kids that the money could be going to. He did all the checking into it and found that our insurance would pay for TMJ work - which me that they will help cover the splint as well as the braces!!! This was pretty exciting for us because our insurance doesn't pay for adult orthodontics. Anyway, thank you Guy for talking me in to going to the consultation and getting the work done!

1 comment:

WarriorWife said...

Yea! I remember how much pain your jaw would cause you all the way back in highschool! I'm really glad to hear things are getting better and that your insurance would cover part of it.

And don't worry about the braces. There are LOTS of adults doing orthodontics these days. Remember the Lanes? They both did it a few years ago too...And you probably won't be in them too long at all.