Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Student Teaching

So I've been going to the school now for just two days. It has been a lot of fun, the teacher that I am working with is WONDERFUL! For this week I'm just mainly observing and getting to know the students, school and the teachers. It has been fun, but it will definitely be challenging when I start teaching the class. It is a fourth grade class, with 29 students (very large for this area). The school is in a poorer section of town (about 60% are on free or reduced lunch). There are also quite a few special needs students in the class. There is one deaf boy (he has an interpreter, but many of the reading/writing lessons will need to be adapted), there is a couple that are ADD and on medication, another boy who is on medication for another reason - he gets difficult when he's off medication or when they are trying to change the doses around. Last week I guess he was licking the desk and eating pieces of paper off the floor, but when he is on the medication he does great and is actually a very bright little boy. It's so sad. Anyway, there is also another boy that has been in foster care for the past several years and he has recently been adopted, however he still carries quite a bit of baggage and has issues with stealing. Consequently, he can't ever be left alone in a classroom (or the last one out...).

So, anyway, there are going to be quite a few issues that I will have to work around - but it will be great experience for me. I'm actually quite excited about it! Like I said, my teacher is wonderful and the other teachers seem great as well!

2 comments:

Kristy Skoy said...

It will be hard but also a huge learning experience. How many kids like that are you going to run into when you have your own classroom. At least now you have help learning how to deal with them.

Jamie said...

Sounds like it will be quite a challenge. But just think - after all this experience you will be one heck of a teacher! Good luck with it all!