Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Kids at the store

My kids hate strollers, grocery carts, or anything that requires them to sit!!! We went to Target today so I could look for a wedding gift for an old roommate. I stick my 1 1/2 year old in the cart and then try to put my 3 year old in the basket of the cart. That was a definite no go! To avoid the screaming I allowed Austin to walk, along with my 5 year old, Jaden. That was a huge mistake. Th eboys just kept running around and chasing each other. Kaylee, seeing all the excitement and fun her brothers were having started to quietly, but insistently, say "I want out. Out. Out." I tried to ignore her as I rallied the boys together so we could go look at other stuff. Kaylee began to get louder and pretty soon started screaming!!! There was nothing I could do to get her to stop. Toys didn't work, food didn't work..... nothing! I let her down and then had the three running around. It was so embarrassing, especially getting all those looks from the mothers who had the perfect children, sitting in the cart, looking at my kids and getting ideas of their own. Anyway, do you think I was able to find a gift for my roommate? NO!!! I had to throw all 3 screaming kids into the cart and leave the store. It was the most frustrating and embarrassing moment I've had for such a long time.

I told Guy about it when I got home. I had asked if he would watch the kids while I went shopping and didn't understand why he couldn't just go with me. (If he does, I still end up watching all the kids! He tries to help, but just doesn't!) Speaking of my husband, on Sunday - Mother's Day, we had our 7th anniversary!!! We went out on a great date and had such a wonderful time. We were able to go to dinner and then take a leisurely walk by the river. It was so much fun. When we got home, we came in to find the house so much cleaner than we had left it. The babysitters (we had two sisters watching the kids) had decided to clean up the kids' playroom downstairs as well as Kaylee's room upstairs! It was such a nice end to our day. We will definitely have these girls come again. Besides the house being so clean, the kids just had a great time with them. And yes, we did give the girls some extra cash for the cleaning (which they at first wouldn't accept!)

4 comments:

Erin said...

You gotta love a good babysitter. I wish I had one, besides family. My family lives in Seattle and my mother-in-law who used to watch the kids every Friday for us, went to California to be with her hubby and work in the movie industry. Good for her, but bad for me!

Jamie said...

I know exactly how you feel and have been in the same situation. It is awfully embarrassing when your kids are running around and screaming and crying. I have actually left a basket of items to haul my kids out of the store! I have come to the decision that it doesn't matter what others think - when you get that look in the store or in the middle of sacrament. Many older adults forget that their kids had their moments, too. I try to do the best I can but you have to remember they are just kids.

Congratulations on the anniversary. It is hard to believe we have all been married so long. I don't feel old enough to be married for almost 7 years! Sounds like you have found some great babysitters - they are definitely keepers! I have had a couple babysitters who have actually emptied my dishwasher, loaded it, cleaned the kids' bedrooms and the living room! It is so nice to come home to and is very much appreciated.

WarriorWife said...

Shopping is always easier when you don't go in a group...especially if the "group" is under 3 feet tall...or so I've heard. :)

Good job on the wrangle and escape. Maybe try sending your husband to the store with a list of 50 things in all different places and ALL the kids after you've gotten them on a sugar high and see if he understands better then.?? :)

Stephanie said...

Oh, the grocery store. Gotta love the grocery store. It works out okay sometimes, but sometimes you just feel embarassed.