Wednesday, May 28, 2008

And they're OUT!

Yesterday, Jaden had his surgery. He did VERY well - I have been so proud of how good he has been. We left the house yesterday at 5:00 AM and got to the hospital and filled out all the lovely paperwork. We then went to the prep room and Jaden sat and watched cartoons for about an hour. The worst part for that was when Jaden was given the "sleepy medicine" that, I guess, is the most horrible tasting thing in the world. Usually, when we are at home and he has to take a yucky medicine he'll either spit it out or actually vomit - but he did good and swallowed it with no bad effects. When Austin had this (when he got his teeth fixed) he got pretty loopy and it was kinda funny, but Jaden just kinda sat there and watched cartoons. Just a few minutes later they wheeled him back to the surgery room and I went to the waiting room. (This was the only time that I saw him get a little nervous - it was the separation I think more than anything.)

The surgery went quick, it only took about 40-45 minutes at the most. I talked with the doctor and he said that everything went really well. I then went to the recovery room and waited some more - they wanted Jaden to wake up a little bit before they brought him in. When he came in he was whimpering and I felt so bad for him. The nurses said that he had been calling for me after he woke up and continued to until he was brought to me. Guy was able to stop by just as Jaden was being rolled into the recovery room - he was glad to see his dad! He was so brave until the nurses left and then he began to whimper a little louder and asking for Daddy, and then Mommy. It's funny how he rarely calls us Daddy and Mommy - usually just Dad and Mom! The worst part was him just getting of the anethesia. The nurses warn you that they are usually either cranky or extra emotional. At one point, he looked up at me and said "This is the worst day ever!" I felt so awful for him! He then slept for another hour or so and this seemed to help him wear off the rest of the anethesia. His mood was drastically better when he woke up the second time.

We were then able to go. We stopped and picked up his prescriptions and then got Austin and Kaylee from Marydell's, and went home. He did great for the rest of the day. First thing he did when we got home was play on the computer and eat some applesauce. He didn't sleep for the rest of the day - I was a little surprised. I had to get up every three hours with him last night to keep him up on his pain meds and will have to do that again tonight. After that, I'll only wake up once a night for a couple of nights. The worst part is that I can't just wake up and get him his meds, but I also have to wake up enough to get him a little bit of applesauce or pudding for him to eat first - he can't take it on an empty stomach!

Anyway, he did real good. It was funny, later in the evening yesterday he asked if he could have something to call me with so he wouldn't have to yell. Could you imaginge Jaden sitting there with a bell so he could call me when he wanted? I told him No Way - he has two feet and can walk to me if needed! What a stinker!!!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Glad to hear everything went well and that Jaden was able to come home. I'm so glad that the 'sleepy medicine' Leevi got put him to sleep, because the separation would have been very hard for him - and me. But Jaden was so brave! I would have been scared, too.

And good thinking on the bell! I would be bonkers within a few minutes, I'm sure!

Arlyn said...

It sounds like your family has had a bit of excitement lately. I can't think of too many things that are worse than sick kids. Except for maybe sick mommies.

Good luck getting him up and back to normal!

Kristy Skoy said...

I am so glad taht he is doing well. I hope that he doesnt torment his siblings too bad. We will get together and play mario cart next week.