Monday, May 26, 2008

Tomorrow's the day...

Jaden is going to be getting his tonsils and adenoids out tomorrow. I am NOT looking forward to these next couple of weeks!!! I was a little concerned about how he was going to be dealing with the thought of going in to surgery and he seems to be okay with it. He's a little nervous about all the details (what time he needs to be there, how long will it take, will he stay overnight...), but doesn't seem to be too worried about the surgery itself. He is bringing his Build-A-Bear, Ranger, with him "to help him fall asleep" before the surgery!!! I'm sure he'll do great. We have to be at the hospital at 5:30 in the MORNING. That is way too early, but this way we don't have to worry about him wanting to eat anything before he goes. There is a possibility that he will have to stay overnight, so we are supposed to come prepared for that. It will just depend on how his adenoids are healing (the doctor said that about 50% of the kids who get their adenoids out end up having to stay overnight), but hopefully he'll be ready to come home tomorrow evening. Guy's mom offered to watch Kaylee and Austin so I didn't have to worry about bringing them with me or finding someplace for them to go - that has been a huge help! Hopefully, Guy will be able to come by the hospital for a short visit during his lunch hour - he just works at a pharmacy across the street.

Anyway, it's going to be a long day tomorrow --- actually a long couple of weeks. Jaden will be out of commission for the first week - only sitting and laying down, watching TV and such. The second week, he can't do any running or jumping. The doctor calls it "being grounded" - both feet must be on the floor at all times! He is NOT looking forward to all of this. He wants to be able to go play, but I don't think he'll feel that way when he gets home! Oh, and get this... I always thought that the cool thing about getting your tonsils out was being able to eat all the ice cream you wanted. I guess that's not true anymore, they aren't supposed to eat or drink any dairy products because it causes you to clear your throat and the scabs from the surgery fall off. So I picked up some applesauce, popsicles, and chicken noodle sou, but I don't know what else to get him. If you have any suggestions.... let me know. My mom suggested sherbet and I'm going to ask the doc or nurse tomorrow about that one.
Well, wish Jaden (and me - I hate waiting around in hospital waiting rooms!) luck!!!

2 comments:

Kristy Skoy said...

GOOD LUCK! I hope everyting goes ok. Call me if you need anything. If he wants a friend to sit and watch cartoons with you can call David. I hope you do ok too. I understand waiting in the other room with a child in surgery.

Jamie said...

Oh, poor Jaden. Leevi had to have a little surgery a few years ago and it is scary. They gave him this little drink that was supposed to make him 'loopy' before they gave him the real medicine to knock him out. The drink stuff put him right to sleep, so it wasn't hard at all. Will they do this sort of thing for Jaden? The hardest part is when they are coming out of the anesthesia. And, of course, waiting while your baby is in surgery! But I'm sure Jaden, and you, will do just fine.

I hope he heals well enough that you can go home, because staying at hospitals is just no fun.

I didn't have any other suggestions, as far as food goes. I was going to say definitely lots and lots of popcicles! What makes a kid happier?

Good luck! Let us know how it goes when you get a chance.